Custom Search

Thursday, July 2, 2009

Are the "green shoots" really weeds?

I kinda think so, but I'm biased. This article is good, though, and I agree with just about all of it.

Here's M. Cianfracca's three step plan to recovery:
  • Commit to a zero interest rate policy for at least 2-3 years.
  • Enact a 100% tax holiday on business income and capital gains. That’s not a deferral, it’s a full abatement.
  • Commit credibly to eliminate new regulations on business.
I'm with it, especially on the 2nd and 3rd points. I'm not quite sold on the zero interest rate part, mainly because the Greenspan cheap money policy is part of what got us into this mess. But, generally, a great deal of uncertainty in the marketplace is due to the fact that businesses and investors really don't know what is going to happen with interest rates over the coming years. Some level of consistency there is definitely called for.

I always tell people that if I was King, businesses would never pay taxes. Repeat after me: "businesses don't pay taxes, their customers do!"

And finally, much of the trepidation companies big and small are feeling about hiring is directly related to the fact that they have no idea what the new Obamacare plan will look like. How much will it cost your average small business? How much will taxes go up to pay for the plan? Is the health care insurance deductibility going away?

You can hardly blame business for being hesitant to hire in this uncertain environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment